History of the Club
The Cricket Club could be said to have had a turbulent existence. Earliest documented reference of 1912, indicate “that through laxity of the officials and members generally, no fixtures were arranged during the past season”.
These harsh words appeared to have the desired effect, for by 1914 the Club had been revived.
In those years a home match was an event not to be missed.
Opposition included teams from Street, Doulting, Walton and Oakhill. Also clearly stated on the fixture card was Rule #2 “Annual subscriptions to be paid by 24th June “.
In 1914, only one of the 6 matches played was won. The Glencott ground was used rent free which understandably gave the presidency for the club to Mr. W.S. Hodgkinson (then the owner of Glencott House). The vice-presidency was further granted to Mr. Guy Hodgkinson.
After the intervention of the war the club was quick to reform. In 1923 the team showed much better promise winning 11 of the 15 matches played, the only home loss being that against Wells Theological College.
Robert Jones continued as before as Captain of the team and together with Vice-captain Phil Rivers, they proved to be invaluable batsmen. Their averages however could not match G. Hodgkinson, although having only 4 'knocks' with the bat, managed to attain an average of 105.00. His highest score of 113 N.O.
Against Wells City is still one of the highest innings recorded at the ground and included 2 sixes 'hit over the trees into Broadmead' and 17 fours. An all-rounder he certainly was, having a bowling average of 2.00, taking 10 wkts in his 4 matches. During 1932,
17 Matches were played of which 12 were won, 4 lost and 1 drawn. The team survived into the 1950s, but soon after the side disbanded through lack of interest. It was not until 1989 that there was a desire to reform a cricket team.
The first gathering was at the Athletics Ground in Wells to enjoy an informal game. Interest was keen and with the help of the Attia family and Peter Haylings, the then owner of Wookey Hole Caves, the club reformed.
Much work was required to re-establish the old cricket square. Numerous concrete posts had to be removed in the outfield and the fencing that divided the field. Finally the complete recovery of the old pitch was achieved.
A new square was laid with approximately 7 pitches. The first season was short as fixtures were being found, but in 1991 there was a full season of matches from May to September. In addition, the club entered the Mendip Knock-Out Cup, organised by Mendip District Council which was finally won by the club in 1992.
The Club also entered the National Village championship in 1994, eventually losing to Butleigh Cricket Club in a high scoring game. Since the club's revival, matches have been played mainly on Sundays.
Fixtures on Wednesday evenings have further given opportunity to the younger players to improve their game.
In the first full season of 1991, 14 Sunday matches were played, 12 were lost, 1 one and 1 drawn. Within a couple of years, however, the club and it's support had improved.
The cricket field now boasted a pavilion supported on a concrete base supplied by a local engineering firm (Blaccon Engineering) at no cost. The club has embarked on many tours; 1992, 2000 and 2003 to Menorca, 1994 to Newport, 2005 to Montego Bay, Jamaica and 2015 & 2018 to Portugal. In addition,
weekend tours to Isle of Wight are undertaken every other year.
The club continues to develop its youth programme for all genders so they can improve their skills and be more involved with the club. There is additional improvements which are being planned to upgrade the facilities at the ground.